Tuesday 24 April 2012

Trash

The images that I have seen on television of families living on the huge rubbish heaps in Asia and Africa meant that I didn't really want to read this book as I knew it was going to find it a harrowing read.  The idea that in the 21st century we still have people living in such conditions is appalling and the feeling of powerlessness I have when I watch programmes about these children and families is overwhelming.  However once I began the book I was gripped and the setting combined with an intriguing story have made it a captivating and thought provoking read.
The story is set on a huge landfill in Manila called Behala.   The three boys Raphael, Gardo and Rat live on the dumpsite sifting the rubbish.  One day they find a deadly secret, immediately they are drawn into a story of betrayal and corruption.  Throughout the story I became more and more drawn in wishing for the boys to be safe and hoping for someone with more power to step in and help them.
The scene in which they visit the prison is horrendous and yet again the idea that people are still held in these conditions is very hard to deal with.  


It is an engaging, thought provoking book that stays with you long after you have put it down.  Whilst it is in the young adult section I would recommend it to adults.  

No comments:

Post a Comment