Sunday 8 April 2012

Sky Hawk

I have begun reading this and was a bit dubious to begin with (I am not always a fan of books about animals).  However, I was immediately drawn into the story of Iona and her secret.  I wanted to find out what the secret was and very quickly did but it is apparent that this is only the beginning.  I am looking forward to continuing the story...
Having now finished the book all my doubts about a book about a bird have disappeared.  The story was fantastic, I could picture the two different settings, Scotland and The Gambia.  The characters were believable and the friendships that developed showed a true understanding of the passion of 10 and 11 year old children.  Having read this it is a book I want others to read and want to discuss.
Having read  the guardian article about The Owl Babies I felt that Gill Lewis has also achieved a similar concept in her book.  The desire I have and probably, many of us have is fulfilled in Sky Hawk although it is not a simplistic happy ending as the story contains loss as well.
As a teacher I also found myself thinking of the range of activities that could be done surrounding this book.  The inspiration it could give to pupils in their international projects and ideas for beginning whole class international projects based around the tracking of migratory birds.
A fantastic book that I would strongly recommend.
This is a link to a blog for Ozwold it has sad news on it but it shows how Osprey's are being tracked.Osprey Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment