Tuesday 3 April 2012

Small Change for Stuart

The book is about a boy (Stuart) who is ten but small for his age.  Stuart and his parents move to Beeton and so begins an extraordinary adventure in which he discovers his great uncle's lost workshop.
I have only read to chapter 9 at the moment but will continue to update as I read it.  Lissa Evans portrays the triplets, who Stuart meets when he moves in, as very annoying and Stuarts parents as somewhat unaware of Stuart's feelings (something I am sure many 10 year olds feel).

I have now finished the book and I thoroughly enjoyed the story.  I would suggest that any child from about 8 upwards would enjoy this book.  It provides a great adventure story with gripping plot twists as Stuart gradually puts different clues together.  The book has that ever important happy ending which, I think, is important for books for this age group as children do expect the bad characters to get there comeuppance.  Alongside this the use of language in the book provides ample opportunity to extend children's vocabulary especially the way in which Stuart's Dad speaks to Stuart.  The book is very well written with some of those cringe moments we all experienced I am sure with our parents when we were young.  It also has the qualities of those stories that I loved reading when I was younger such as 'Harriet the Spy' and 'Emil and the Detectives.'  There is a very satisfying feeling when a child sees and believes things that adults don't and at the same time outwits the adults who are out to do wrong.   

No comments:

Post a Comment