Wednesday 4 April 2012

Mole's Sunrise

Mole's sunrise is a beautiful book from the very beginning.  Naively, I didn't realise that the reason Mole had never seen a sunrise was because he was blind.  I had thought that he just had never got up in time.  The author deals with this disability in such a sensitive way that it is only at the end that me and my two girls realised that he couldn't see the sunrise and that he was experiencing it through all his other senses.
I find this book hard to read aloud because it seems to always manage to make me feel a little emotional when I reach the end.  Books have a wonderful way of tapping into our emotions and this one certainly does this.
I really hope that their is a braille copy of this book and also a tactitile version made as it is a must for any classroom but also for any schools that have children who are partially sighted.
walker books activities linked to Mole's Sunrise


From the RNIB website a clip of talking book narrators reading moles sunrise.


No comments:

Post a Comment