Tuesday 3 April 2012

A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls is the story of Connor coming to terms with his mother's cancer.  It  takes you on Conor's journey including the way that he cannot talk to his friends and they no longer know what to say to him.  He is angry, unhappy but also having to keep himself together for his mum.  As it is only Conor and his mum it tells a story of Conor's isolation as well.

Throughout the book I felt so desperate for someone to come and help Conor, his Grandma comes but can't help him.  His dad comes from America but does not offer the support he needs either.  I found myself wishing that there was someone and then it becomes clear that the monster is the one who will force Conor to talk about his feelings.

In the beginning I was not sure about the monster or the purpose of the monster as I felt that Conor had enough going on in his life with his mother and the bullies. However, as I became absorbed in the story I began to realise the significance of the monster. The book needs to be read over a period of a few days as it is an emotionally draining account of a boy coming to terms with his mother's cancer.
The use of the monster who helps Conor come to terms with feelings that none of us feel comfortable talking about was great.
I read this as an ebook and realised that I have missed out on the illustrations which, looking at others reviews, adds to the story.
This is a book that is great for both young adults and adults as it covers issues and feelings that are uncomfortable but real.  I wish that I had read a book like this when I was younger.  Be prepared for lots of crying throughout as it is a real emotional rollercoaster.


No comments:

Post a Comment