Saturday 14 April 2012

A Place to Call Home by Alexis Deacon


The story is about some small creatures, which I think might be hamsters but I am not sure!  These very adorable little creatures can no longer all fit inside their home.  They begin a journey to try to find a new home and along the way travel through some very interesting settings.  The children in my class really enjoyed this book as the pictures tell one story and the words another so the creatures think they are sailing across an ocean when in fact they are going through a puddle etc.  This is a book that the combination of text and pictures makes it a story you can read again and again.  
This is also a book that can be used for lots of teaching linked to a topic on animals and their homes or just homes.
The last page of the book has led to mixed reactions.  My children found it fascinating and wanted to discuss it.   However adults have said that they don't like the picture at the end.  I like the picture at the end although I found myself concerned as they still haven't really found a safe hole to live in.

Today some of the children in my class decided to write to the author as they are desperate to know whether they are hamsters, meerkats or gerbils.  We posted 3 letters today so hopefully we will get a response.




No comments:

Post a Comment