Thursday 12 April 2012

Moon Pie by Simon Mason



Moon Pie is one of the books from the 7 - 11 age range.  I may be slightly over protective but I am not sure I would let my children read this until they were at least 10 or 11. So it is definitely a book for the older children or at least a book that as a parent or teacher you are going to discuss with your child.
I was completely gripped with the story feeling frustrated by all those who didn't understand Martha and Tug.  All the way through it was clear that Martha was such a strong character and left me with a feeling that there are probably lots of children out there who are dealing with so much at home.  The fact that Martha kept everything so organised left me questioning whether there are children like Martha who aren't noticed by teachers because they are sensible and don't seek help but instead try to do it all themselves.
The story has a happy ending which was a relief to me as while I wasn't sure she should ever trust her dad again I was so pleased he did manage to get back on track.
The story deals with some very real issues that you would hope not many children would have to deal with.
I think the realisation that alcoholism can affect any family for a range of reasons makes it even more realistic.  The contrast of life prior to their mum dying, life with an alcoholic father and then life with their grandparents was portrayed brilliantly.
I really enjoyed this book and think that it could easily sit within the teen section as well.  I will be interested to see what the children who I have chosen to read this think of it.  The story has really stayed with me and I do think it is a book that teachers's and parents should read as in parts it can make you feel very uncomfortable.  It also serves as a warning to both teachers who may not notice a child like Martha but also as a parent you should never forget that that is what you are but Martha's dad clearly had forgotten that.

No comments:

Post a Comment