Sunday 29 April 2012

iBoy by Kevin Brooks

I have just begun reading this and I am hooked.  I was slightly concerned because my 9 year old had picked it up and begun reading it.  In my opinion it is not suitable for a 9 year old so I have taken it away from him and given him Sky Hawk instead.  However I do think it is a fantastic book so far....

Having now finished the book I have been left with a sense of relief that I don't live in an area similar to the setting of the book.  I found myself questioning whether the pursuit of those who destroyed Lucy's life was just or whether there was another way.  The idea of exacting revenge is one that is easy to identify with through the book I found myself rooting for Tom and hoping that he managed to find all the perpetrators of the crime against himself Lucy and her brother.  The ending is fantastic but it does leave you with a sense of the fact that whilst revenge has been achieved the crimes committed will continue again and again until there is a bigger change.

iBoy is a superhero for the 21st century who I imagine a lot of 'digital natives' will be drawn to.  I would however be cautious with letting a child younger than 14 read this as it deals with issues that are adult in content.

No comments:

Post a Comment