Sunday 6 May 2012

The Girl Savage

Wilhelmine, better known a Will, wildcat or cartwheel is growing up on a farm in Africa when suddenly her world is tipped upside down.  Will has grown up living wild and free, she hasn't been sent to school but instead has been able to play with the farm boys.  When her dad dies and Captain Browne who is taking care of her remarries she is sent to England to a boarding school.

I have only reached the point at which Will arrives at the boarding school.  The sense of despair and frustration I feel for her as she is sent away is awful.  All I am hoping is that as I get further through the book Cynthia will somehow get her comeuppance.

Now I have reached the end I am somewhat disappointed that Cynthia didn't seem to get what she deserved however the way the school girls changed was great.  The ending was a real surprise but really was a great way to end.  It was very moving to see the courage and strength that Will showed at the end and made me cry.
It took me a while to become really engrossed in this book but I am so glad I kept going.  The experiences of Will in the two different setting are so starkly different that you just wish that you could take her back to Africa.  I felt so proud of Will at the end.  This is a fantastic debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment